25th year celebration
Stenden University’s International Hospitality Management programme has celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2012. International Hospitality Management started as a Dutch programme in 1987 but an English language variant was introduced soon afterwards. Thanks to the strong international focus, the programme became completely in English in the year 2000 and one year later Stenden opened the first foreign campus site in South Africa. In the years that followed, Stenden also opened campus sites in Qatar, Thailand and Bali. As a result, the students of International Hospitality Management Stenden could take the Grand Tour on three continents. Stenden also recently introduced an Associate Degree in International Hospitality Management at the Stenden location in Emmen.
Over the past 25 years, International Hospitality Management has grown into one of the biggest educational institutions in Hospitality in Europe. The programme has its own hotel, restaurant, bar and conferences halls. One of the special features of the programme is that it has enabled Stenden to offer its students an education based on the principle of Real World Learning: The latter principle will also continue to be an important focus of attention in the future. The programme is currently working on setting up a Hospitality research centre and it prepares graduate courses in the fields of Cruise Management, Events, Wine and Gastronomy and Masters in Sustainability and Gastronomy. While the programme has produced 10,000 alumni, Stenden believes that, in this way, it will be able to continue to offer future students a rich education in Hospitality.
- IHM is the largest single hospitality programme in Europe with 2400 students
- IHM has over 10000 alumni (graduates) worldwide
- IHM achieves an employment rate of 97% 4 months following graduation
- IHM programme is offered simultaneously at 6 Stenden sites, across 3 continents
- In the 2011 accreditation IHM is awarded the distinctive feature 'Real World Learning'
- Stenden University was recently accredited as an Associate Member of THE_ICE
- Stenden IHM broke a Guinness World Records during the Lustrum event.